top of page

What To Do If You Have A House Fire

Updated: Mar 21, 2023

Burnin’ the House Down

All jokes aside, having fire damage to your home can be devastating. On the ‘light
end’, maybe a small kitchen fire burned the countertop and a wall or
two. On the ‘heavy end’, perhaps a wildfire torched your house, and little remains
but charred wood and ashes.

If the heavier end of fire damage applies to your house, it took a lot more than just
a structure; it probably burned all of your pictures, clothes, important documents,
your children’s toys, etc.

Most house fires, from my understanding, are somewhere between these two ends
and destroy several rooms and most likely the roof and flooring of the home.
Beyond the physical damage to the house, it will also make the homeowner uneasy
about trusting the remaining structure to be at full strength.


‘Light end’ – congrats! Although no one looks forward to a house fire, yours was
relatively small and the repairs will be less costly and time consuming. If the fire
only destroyed a countertop, that’s a decently easy thing to fix. If it’s a little more
extensive than that, check with your homeowner's time-consuming insurance agent to see what steps
are needed and what your options are regarding inspections, contractors, etc.
Weigh your financial options when it comes to filing an insurance claim – if the
cost of filing (premium increases) it might be worth it to pay for repairs out of

‘Medium end’ – This covers a wide range of damage - anywhere from a room
being destroyed, to the roof and flooring burned. The first step would be to talk
with your homeowners insurance agent and go over options. You’ll most likely
need at least one insurance inspection. Then you’ll have to wait on their report on
what will be covered and what won’t. Your insurance company should have a list
of approved contractors who can handle the work. Then comes scheduling time for
each contractor and/or inspector to be onsite for work, potential hotel costs for
unknown lengths of time, handling paperwork, and whatever expenses become
necessary in the process to replace home items/appliances.

‘High end’ – The home is either mostly destroyed or entirely destroyed by the
fire and smoke and the loss is substantial. You will definitely want to contact your
homeowner's insurance agent and start the process of filing a claim. You’ll also
need to find temporary shelter, whether that be with family/friends or at a long-
term stay hotel. The total loss of a home to fire can be long-winded and financially
draining. In addition to a large amount of paperwork, there will most likely need to
be a police report, insurance inspections, contractor inspections, estimates, and wait
times for insurance approval/denial, all while trying to replace necessary personal
items lost in the fire and maintain work/school schedules.

Another Option

If you find yourself in a fire damaged home and don’t want to deal with the “fall
out” of needed work/time, consider calling us. We’d love to buy the home and
make sure it is ‘brought back to life’ if possible. We’ll handle cleanup and
contractors, and want to help in whatever way we can.
You can reach us by call or text at 940-255-7227 or by email at


bottom of page